Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Perfect Cup!




If you were to come to my house in the morning, I would offer you a cup of coffee because I am always looking for a drinking buddy when it comes to coffee. I would fix you a place at the table, and set out creamer and sugar for those of you who are so inclined. I would then begin to choose a mug for you to drink with. I have several personal favorites shown in the picture above.

When it comes to coffee mugs, I am very particular. They have to "speak" to me if you know what I mean. (If you have no idea what I mean, just smile and shake your head like you do) The one directly on the Kuerig is a very solid cup. It "speaks" to me of being a solid person. The Reformers Unanimous cup to the left "speaks" of second chances. The cup directly to the right of that is a cup that I designed. It was for our chapter of Reformers Unanimous when I had the privilege of directing it. There is a motto that I placed on it that says, "The perfect place for those who are not". This one "speaks" of all the people that God let me meet and learn from during that chapter in my life. The Dick Tracy one? Well that just "speaks" to me of being fun and just about being myself.

There is one mug that I will never offer you should you come to have a cup of coffee with me. It is the one that is front and center. yep, the green one with the funky handle.

This baby is made for me! I don't like my fingers to feel "Squashed" when I drink my coffee and this one lets me have lots of room.

Please understand, I have been satisfied when I have drank coffee from other cups, but I LOVE drinking coffee from this cup. The perfect cup!

You may be saying, "Ok Dan, nice cup but what does this have to do with me besides now being armed with the knowledge that you are weird and selfish?"

Great Question! Let me show you something that God showed me about having the perfect cup!


"Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths." ~Psalms 25:4

I love this verse! The psalmist is asking God to custom fit his mind and heart to God's ways and to then help him apply what he learns to walk the path that God has given him to walk!

May I just say here that I have been refreshed by someone else's walk with the Lord and challenged from their relationship with the Lord, but I need my own cup.

I need my Father to show me His word for me. It was the dark ages that brought about the mindset that God only spoke to the priests and from them to the people. I have heard this phrase used in church before, "The Pastor's job is to lead and feed, and the people's job is to follow and swallow".

Nope, God wants me to know Him, and by the way, He wants you to know Him as well. He gave you His Spirit to guide you into all truth!

Don't misunderstand me, I am not against drinking coffee from another persons mug, but you need a mug that is custom fit for your mind and heart!

Take a look at some more custom mug verses that I have found

"Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day. " ~Psalms 25:5

How awesome is this? When you open the Word of God, the Holy Spirit will lead you into all truth if you ask Him! When was the last time you asked the Holy Spirit to lead you into all truth. It is asking God to give you a custom fitted mug for what He pours out for you!
 
"Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name." ~Psalms 86:11

"Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes." ~ Psalms 119:12 

"The earth, O LORD, is full of thy mercy: teach me thy statutes." ~ Psalms 119:64 

"Teach me good judgment and knowledge: for I have believed thy commandments."
~ Psalms 119:66 

"Thou art good, and doest good; teach me thy statutes." ~ Psalms 119:68 


"Deal with thy servant according unto thy mercy, and teach me thy statutes." ~ Psalms 119:124 

"Make thy face to shine upon thy servant; and teach me thy statutes." ~Psalms 119:35 

"Teach me to do thy will; for thou art my God: thy spirit is good; lead me into the land of uprightness." ~Psalms 143:10 

Each of these passages speak of God providing me with a custom mug from which to enjoy Him.

If you were to come over to my house in the morning, more than likely I would ask you if you would like to have a cup of coffee with me. I am always looking for a drinking buddy when it comes time for coffee. I would fix you a place to sit down, and set out the creamer and sugar, and then begin to select a mug for you to drink from. I have several mugs and all of them "Speak" to me. There is one mug that I will not be offering you because that mug was made for me.

If you find refreshment from other peoples mugs that it perfectly fine, but can you say that you only find satisfaction from the mug that He has made for you?

I want to challenge you today to take a few minutes before the day starts or ends, and ask the God of the universe, the creator, and your Father to custom fit your mind and heart to receive His truth!

Climbing with you,

~Dan

1 comment: