Monday, May 4, 2015

Choosing to Live



I had an incredible opportunity this past week and was able to seize it in its moment when it went by.

I unpacked my distractions, troubles, and loaded the suitcase up with swimming trunks, flip flops, sunscreen, zero expectations, and  went on a vacation with my family.

We went to St. Augustine Florida, one of our favorite places in the world. My wife and I grabbed our kids and headed out to a weeks worth of recreation (Re- Creating) what our family unit was made to be. We swam in the pool, shopped the old city, took in the local sites, had some of the most fantastic ice cream on the planet and re-discovered dynamics of our family relationships that we had let slip in the busyness of life.

One of my favorite activities personally was a five a.m. run around the lake where we stayed. This is an activity that God uses to speak with me, and I would like to share with you a thought that He and I shared during one of those 5 am run/talk/pray/meditate sessions.

God used Moses to outline a very clear choice that His people were given as a nation. He outlined many different laws as a society which if followed, would allow them to exist as a nation set apart and as a testimony to the God that they served.
 
"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live." ~ Deuteronomy 30:19

There is a lot in this passage that we could discuss but for the sake of this post, I would just like to point out the obvious.
 
God provided man a CHOICE.
 
Life is about choices. Each choice brings about its own set of consequences and wherever you may find yourself in life as you read this post, you cannot deny the fact that you alone made the choices you have brought you to the places where you have been.

"OUR RESPONSE DETERMINES OUR FUTURE."

There are circumstances in our life that happen that are not our choice but how we respond to those circumstances is our choice.

I truly wish I could say that I make great choices all of the time, but the truth is, I do not always make great choices. I make the wrong choices with my time, relationships, finances, and with my responses more times than I am proud to admit. I have to accept that yyesterday is in the tomb, tomorrow is in the womb, all we really have is today.

I was meditating on this choice God gave man and He brought to mind another example of when He gave man a choice.
 
"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." ~ John 10:10

What makes God's choices so beautiful is that He has given us the ability to make and keep them. We live out His life IN us.

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." ~ Galatians 2:20

Because of Christ's death and Resurrection, I can now truly LIVE as He intended for me to live. Through my faith IN Him! I can choose to walk in the Spirit. I made a short list of choices that morning as I meditated and I wanted to share them with you.

CHOOSE TO: Be Impeccable with Your Word.
  • I Choose today to speak with integrity.
  • I Choose today to say only what you mean.
  • I Choose today to Avoid negative self talk and gossip.
  • I Choose today to use and choose my words to speak truth and love.
  • I Choose today to be careful about what I allow myself to think about, because my thoughts determine my actions and responses and my response determines my future. 
CHOOSE TO: Not Take Anything Personally
 
This is a big one for me because I tend to over think things. Have you ever had someone say something hurtful about you behind your back or even to your face?
 
We all have had that happen and have even been the one doing it to others right? But nothing others say or do is because of you. What others say is a projection of their own reality. Your value and acceptance has already been determined by God and no one can reject you because no one can truly offer acceptance. Acceptance is no ones to offer but God and He has accepted you because of Christ!  What others say is simple a projection of their own reality.
  
Properly established identity in Christ brings with it and immunity to the opinions and actions of others. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you wont be the victim of needless suffering.
 
CHOOSE TO: Not Make Assumptions
 
The next time you make an assumption about somebody or something do more research -- or redirect your thoughts to something positive. Scripture tells us where to direct our thoughts and also explains that we, through Christ, have the ability to direct them to a better place.  (Philippians 4:8)
 
95% of the time, it’s probably not even close to being reality.
 
I can’t tell you how many times I have made an assumption only to find out later that I wasted all kinds of time and energy because my worry or concern was unfounded.
 
CHOOSE TO: Always Do Your Best
 
Even though your best is going to change from day to day,make sure you simply do your best under ANY circumstances and you’ll avoid self-judgement, self-abuse, and regret.
 
   "Yesterday is in the tomb, tomorrow is in the womb, all we really have is today."
 
So always do your best!
 
Do yourself a favor and jot these down, print them out,or better yet, grab a note pad and write 4 choices of your own and share them.
 
I have all four "Choices" printed out and posted on a white board in my office.
 
It’s a great reminder of how to truly live.
 
"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live." ~ Deuteronomy 30:19

We live by the choices that we make. George Strait sings, "There's a difference in living and living well." and it's true. God did not just give us physical life, He gave us the ability to truly be ALIVE in Him and to LIVE through Him the life that we were made to live.

Our days on this earth are numbered so don't just breathe today, Choose to LIVE.

Climbing with you,
~Dan





No comments:

Post a Comment