Monday, August 18, 2014

The Power in a Name.



I have written in the past about the signifigance that is found in our name in (Hello My Name Is  Click Here) and what we find as we look at the name that we have been given is absolutely amazing in discovery of purpose! Identity will always bring purpose.

There was a day in my life where I did a lot of service FOR God and when I truly met Him I discovered that God did not want me to spend one more minute living FOR Him. He made me to live FROM Him. There is a big difference between living FOR and living FROM God.

When I began to let Him teach me how to live FROM Him, everything in my life radically changed and it changed for the better! Christ is our absolute source for everything that we do in life. He is the vine and we are the branches.

One of the things that God began teaching me was my identity in Him. (The Born Identity : Click Here) When you discover your true identity in Christ you discover Truth. Truth brings Life and Life brings freedom!

God began to teach me some amazing stuff about just who I was to Him and one of the tools that He used to do that was the book of the Bible called "The Song of Solomon".

What an AMAZING book!!!

I began to read and write what He put on my heart from each passage and that quickly turned into a 13 week devotional! I wanted to share, without going into to much depth, a concept that you are going to find in that devotional book when it is released!

"Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine. Because of the savour of thy good ointments thy name is as ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee." ~ Song of Solomon 1:2-3

I love this passage because a kiss is an extremely powerful exchange when it is given willingly and recieved willingly between two people. It is an awesome precursor to something greater that those two people can experience. The girl mentioned here is a beautiful picture of us and she is saying that this exchange from the King, who is a picture of God, is more valuable than wine.
Wine is a depressant, and it alters our preception of reality. It was valued for its ability to sedate and medicate and make a person forget and for its reality perceptional properties. What the message is could be worded from us to God this way. "When I willingly recieve and understand the love that you have for me (Ephesians 3:15-20) then it will far outweigh the comfort  that any other outside source can can temporarily create."

Then she goes on to mention the name of Solomon.

His name evoked so much because of the different way that people knew him. Some knew him as a wise king, an aggresive ruler, a rich buisnesman, and others knew him as a lover.

She is saying in essence, "Your name means so much to those who know you and it causes people that truly know you to passionately pursue you!".

I find it absolutely amazing because God has so many different names that are mentioned in the Bible, and each name mentioned was displayed to certain people for the need that they had in life. In Genesis 1:1 He is the powerful creator, and to Hagar His name was "The God who sees". There have been times when God has shown Himself to you that are different than when He showed Himself to me, and we all have names that we know Him by!

I just wanted to list out the names that He has been called throughout the Bible and ask you to take your time as you read down the list and look for the name that you know Him by.

When you find that name or those names, take a moment and just praise Him for revealing Himself to you in that way. No wonder we want to chase after Him!!!

Each of the apostles died a martyrs death and did so willingly. Why? Because they knew His name. He had shown Himself to be so many true sources to them that they would gladly run after Him even to the cost of their own lives. Which of the following names has He shown Himself to you in your life?


THE NAMES OF GOD
OLD TESTAMENT NAMES FOR GOD & OTHER NAMES THAT HE HAS CARRIED 
ELOHIM......Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1
meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might.
ADONAI......Malachi 1:6
meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.
JEHOVAH--YAHWEH.....Genesis 2:4
a reference to God's divine salvation.
JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM.......Exodus 31:13
meaning "The Lord thy sanctifier"
JEHOVAH-ROHI......Psalm 23:1
meaning "The Lord my shepherd"
JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH.......Ezekiel 48:35
meaning "The Lord who is present"
JEHOVAH-RAPHA.........Exodus 15:26
meaning "The Lord our healer"
JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU......Jeremiah 23:6
meaning "The Lord our righteousness"
JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14
meaning "The Lord will provide"
JEHOVAH-NISSI.........Exodus 17:15
meaning "The Lord our banner"
JEHOVAH-SHALOM........Judges 6:24
meaning "The Lord is peace"
JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH......Isaiah 6:1-3
meaning "The Lord of Hosts"
JEHOVAH-GMOLAH........Jeremiah 51:6
meaning "The God of Recompense"
EL-ELYON..............Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14
meaning "The most high God
EL-ROI................Genesis 16:13
meaning "The strong one who sees"
EL-SHADDAI............Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1
meaning "The God of the mountains or God Almighty"
EL-OLAM...............Isaiah 40:28-31
meaning "The everlasting God"
God's names A-Z
What an AWESOME God we have!!!!

I am so glad that He introduced Himself to me and I want nothing but to know Him better!!!
Once you truly know His name in your life, nothing can keep you from wanting to run after Him in pursuit of who He is!!!!

Climbing with you,
~Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment