Monday, November 25, 2013

The Day I Defriended God


There it was.

Oh, they just had to make that comment didn't they?

Don't they realize that not everyone agrees with them? I know what I'll do. I will just "de-friend" them!!!

With one click of a button I just provided a major relief to my personal stress levels.

Have you ever been faced with the decision of Face book, "To Friend or not to Friend?"

Someone makes a post or shares a link with a religious or political viewpoint that just tips the scale of their worth to you as a friend and you find yourself taking the option of least courage and de-friending them.

Recently I went through a significant change in my life and because of that change it became very obvious that I needed to make some changes to the friend list that I had acquired on face book.

It was not an easy thing for me to do because I truly value people and I always want to keep my mind open to different viewpoints and opinions on as many topics as I can, so this was by no means an easy thing for me to do.

I went through the list removing people that meant a great deal to me, but in order to keep things clean with the circumstances surrounding this decision, I began removing them.

Have you ever removed someone from a friend list?

Have you ever thought to yourself, "It's ok if I remove this person from the list because I have more friends."?

We are so fickle are we not?

What does it take to have a person worthy of being removed from a "friend list" in our life?

A disagreement or difference of opinion?

A critical remark or a hurtful word?

A failure to be present in a time of need or a lack of support during a difficult season?

I came across a passage of scripture the other day that really struck me as truly beautiful and amazing and it made me fall in love with Father even more.

Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you."
                                                                                                       ~ John 15:15-16


Do you see what a relationship with Christ means?

John 15:15-16 tells me that I am God's friend.

I mean think about that for a moment.

Why does it not say, "God is my friend"?

It tells me this truth this way because if I made God my friend that would give me the power to determine the parameters, limits and boundaries of that friendship. That would mean that if I made God my friend, then I would posses the power to de-friend God.

In the relationship it was God who did the choosing.

I am His by His choice.

His choice.

How insanely awesome is that?

He does not evaluate every comment that we make to see if we still have friend worthy traits. He never hides our posts no matter how messed up and inaccurate they are.

In fact, He decided in that while we were yet sinners...
while we actively sharing posts that misrepresented Him and His intentions and purpose...
while we ranted about circumstances that He allowed into our life solely based on our own views.
While we trashed others in our posts...
while we were yet sinners, Christ reached out his hands and died for us.

He does not have to hide our posts.

He already knows our skewed up rants that we make and then regret making later when we come full circle with the entire truth of the facts that we inaccurately ranted about.

Instead we treat him just like he is one friend on a list of some many others.

He did not do what we asked of Him so we go to His page and click de-friend.

He disagreed with me on the solution to a situation in my life so we go to His page and click de-friend.

We cant understand His hand our life and I don't trust His heart so we go to His page and click de-friend.-

We find Him to be unfair and we forget that it is His purpose and not His fairness that dictates the circumstances of our life, so we go to His page and click de-friend.

We are so fickle.

Then this passage comes along

We click the de-friend button and nothing happens.

Why even have a de-friend button available if it does not work???

Look at the passage again..

"...Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you." ~John 15:16

It says, "Y'know, you don't really have a say so in this relationship status. You in fact do NOT control God."

So why have the "Unfriend button" so easily accessible in our hearts to push?

LOVE this...

The button that we click to de-friend God only serves to remind us that it's not about us and that no matter what we feel toward Him in our understanding of Him and His allowed circumstances, He is the one with the power in the relationship.

Oh, we can try to "Hide" His posts on our timeline and go out of our way to try to
"Block" Him on the timeline of life, but He has already decided to make us His friend.


He does not choose to keep the friendship with us because of who we are, but rather for whose we are.


God can NEVER receive this alert from you, because He alone posses the power to cut you lose and He has already decided that you were worth going to the cross for and that you were worthy of the ultimate sacrifice.

That is just half of the awesomeness of this statement.

Now you are able to have Him flow through you to those around you. You are now able to hold relationships in your life with the same power if you so choose.

"...that ye should go and bring forth fruit..."

What does this mean? This is where it gets awesome, because it means that He is saying to you,  "Since I made you my friend you CAN now bear lovely fruit."

It is an option for the first time in your life to now be able to let Him flow through you!


I am not sure where you are as you read this blog post and I am not sure if you have ever reached a place with God where you found yourself disappointed with what you thought He should have done in your circumstances. It very well may be you are clicking the de-friend button frantically even now...

God's purpose, not His fairness dictates the circumstances of our lives.

If you have pressed, want to press, or even plan on pressing the de-friend button with God then please let me tell you that you are about to see something absolutely POWERFUL in your life.

You are going to press that button and nothing is going to happen.

In the nothing that happens you are going to see an overwhelming display of Father's love for you, and i am so excited for you to feel that love in realizing that His friendship is not based on our feelings or emotions.

Keep climbing, because you have already been through so much and to stop now would truly be a waste of everything that you have made it through to get to where you are.


Climbing with you,
~Dan


2 comments:

  1. Loving this can at the right time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feelings are never a good compass and love covers a multitude! Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete