Saturday, September 14, 2013

Do You Speak Wookie?


A few nights ago my son and I loaded up some blankets and went out to the Man-Cave AKA. (Fortress of Solitude) so that we could watch the movie Star Wars together. This was a very big deal for him because up until this point he had never seen Star Wars and I really wanted this to be a special memory that he and I made together.

I resisted the urge to watch these movies in order, so we watched the true first Star Wars move. Episode four.

From the opening score to the grand finale explosion of the Empire’s Death Star, he was on the edge of his seat. It was pretty awesome to see him react over every little thing and watch him as he mourned the loss of each X-Wing pilot on the Death Star trench scene assault with a “Oh man…” or “No! Not Red 2!…wait was that echo leader? Oh yeah, NO! Not echo leader!”

It was a great moment for me as a dad and  as the movie credits were playing and we were gathering up cups and snack ware he asked me, “Dad. Did you just ever want to be a Jedi or an X-wing pilot?”

I thought for a minute and I said, “No son. My goals were more complex and lofty than achieving a Jedi status. I really just always wanted to be the one who was able to understand what the robot R2D2 and the wookie Chewbacca were actually saying.”

Have you ever felt like you could not get through to someone in your life?

You tried everything short of drawing them a picture and nothing seemed to work because to them you might as well have been howling like Chewbacca or twittering and beeping like R2D2?

Let me show you something that Father showed me about becoming Bi-lingual.

In Acts two there is an incredible supernatural event that takes place.

"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God." ~ Acts 2:1-11

Here we find at a minimum of 14 different languages represented here that I can see, and the most incredible thing is that each of the languages mentioned actually hear what the disciples said and they heard them in their own language.

It was the original "Google Translator" the Holy Spirit of God working as only He can!

The Holy Spirit is a Big Boy!

I was reading this passage some time back and just asked the Holy Spirit if He could do that for the apostles, could He do that for me? The question really is, "Are you big enough to take the truth that you place on my heart and mind to speak to another person and translate it into a way that they understand? Can you help me speak the language of those that i have difficulty communicating with?"

He can take His truth that He places in your heart and mind and translate it into the language that others understand.


He prompted my heart with this statement. "Dan,  not only can I do this, but I will do this when a person is surrendered to me and they are seeking to build my kingdom."

I decided to put it to the test.

I was in a meeting where I worked and the air was very thick with the tension from several departments and the one that was running the meeting was "steam rolling" through department heads like it was going out of style. If you could picture darkness, confusion, and destruction in a buisness suit and tie, this was it. I was sitting there when Big Boy impressed on my heart to just stand up.

What?

Yep. He nudged me to just stand up in the middle of the room.

Wasn't that awkward?

Absolutely! As soon as I stood up, the person running the meeting just stopped speaking and everyone just stared at me. The director who had moments before been thrashing and trashing was trying to determine why I had just stood up and you could see in their eyes that they were hesitant to continue speaking.

I don't quite know how else to describe it other than the fact that you could feel the entire atmosphere in that room change. Powers at work had just shifted control.

"Dan, what data were you able to find about this project?", snapped the director.

I was going to just hand them my research when I felt another nudge from Big Boy. "Dan, walk around their desk and stand close to them and give them the paperwork with the data that they want."

I walked around the chairs in the room and made my way, to the directors shock, around their desk and stood close to their chair and softly laid the requested information in front of them. The director stared up at me with a awkward look and then they softened. Suddenly turning to everyone else in the room , who by at this time were looking like they were waiting to see a crucifixion happen, and then announced, "You guys, I am sorry for the way that I have been tearing everyone up. I know that everyone has been working very hard on this project and I am just stressed to the max over here. We really do need to take a different approach on this...I need to take a different approach. Let's call it a day."

As I walked out of the room, my supervisor approached me in a hushed tone and asked, "Daniel, why in the world did you stand up? When you went around that desk and stood right there I thought you were high! No one does that. No one!"

I looked at my supervisor and said, "The Lord told me to do that. He knew what language that needed to be spoken."

Most of us run from uncomfortable situations and people only to continue to be faced by the same "Wookies" and "Droids".

Who do you have the most difficulty time speaking?

Do you struggle to speak "Friend"? How about "Spouse"? "Parent" , "Sibling", "Neigbor" , or even "Employee"?

Do the ones you struggle to understand and speak come off like a beeping robot or an oversized "Wookie"?


"Dad, did you just ever want to be a Jedi or an X-wing pilot?" my son asked as we were picking up cups, and snack bowls after the movie.

I thought for a minute and I said, “No son. My goals were always more complex and lofty than achieving a Jedi status. I really just always wanted to be the one who was able to understand what the robot R2D2 and the wookie Chewbacca were actually saying.”




He is fluent in every form of dialect and He is a Big Boy!

Ask Him to help you speak the language of the one you struggle so hard to speak. He allowed them in your life so that you could depend on Him enough to ask for the help in that traslating.

Climbing with you,
~Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment