Monday, July 1, 2013

Why Should I Listen To You Anyway?



Would you like to guess the identity of this guy?

I will give you a hint.

He is not the newest cast member on "Duck Dynasty". His name was Herod, and he had more in common with us than we would be comfortable to admit.

You see he was given the opportunity to hear God's voice before he was given the opportunity to meet Him.

WHAT???

Herod was a guy who had a thing for wives. More to the point, Herod had a thing for other people's wives. Specifically his brother's wife so as you could imagine this was an awkward time at family get together events. Add to this awkwardness the fact that Herod was a man of money and power, he could take what he wanted by force and no one could stand up to him. At least that is what he thought. Herod was a tremendous example of the flesh.

Flesh can be utilized to accomplish things that are good just as easily as it can be used to accomplish things that are bad because the definition of flesh is simply this; Living my life and operating out of my own resources or strength. This is why we find some being told to depart after they had "Done so many good things in God's name." You can do good things FOR God in your own strength and out of your own resources. A good identifier of the flesh is to ask why you are doing something for God or even for yourself. Do I find my identity in A)What I have? B)What others think of me? C) What I do? These are all good indicators of a flesh walk instead of a Spirit walk.

The flesh will always be introduced, at one point in time, to the Christ ; and we will be forced to make a choice. Operate in the flesh for our own glory or operate in Christ for His glory?

God did for Herod what God does for anyone He created who thinks that the flesh is the way to live. He speaks to them about how He created us to live differently and He lets us make a decision based upon what we have heard.

God chose John the Baptist to be His "Voice" in the wilderness. 

For Herod himself had sent forth and laid hold upon John, and bound him in prison for Herodias' sake, his brother Philip's wife: for he had married her. For John had said unto Herod, It is not lawful for thee to have thy brother's wife." ~Mark 6:17-18

Herod heard God's voice in an "Beyond audible" form through John the Baptist. It was voice that He chose to shut up in prison and ultimately shut out by having John executed.

"But Herod the tetrarch, being reproved by him for Herodias his brother Philip's wife, and for all the evils which Herod had done, Added yet this above all, that he shut up John in prison."  ~Luke 3:19-20

"And immediately the king sent an executioner, and commanded his head to be brought: and he went and beheaded him in the prison, And brought his head in a charger, and gave it to the damsel: and the damsel gave it to her mother. " ~Mark 6:27-28

This was now a step beyond just a refusal to "See God", this was a refusal to "hear" God.


One day Herod gets a message that Jesus was standing in the receptionists area and He was being "Detained" for the express purpose of meeting Herod. Notice what happened in that appointment when Herod had a chance to finally "See God" in his life.

"And when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceeding glad: for he was desirous to see him of a long season, because he had heard many things of him; and he hoped to have seen some miracle done by him. Then he questioned with him in many words; but he answered him nothing. And the chief priests and scribes stood and vehemently accused him. And Herod with his men of war set him at nought, and mocked him, and arrayed him in a gorgeous robe, and sent him again to Pilate." ~Luke 23:8-11
Why didn't Jesus speak? Herod was not interested in hearing God before when He chose to speak through John, why would he be interested in hearing God speak now?

Last Sat and in some previous post's I have written on this topic of listening to God's voice. This can be a bit controversial because there are a lot of people who have already decided that God does not speak in ways that they can hear and that is a shame.

His voice is beyond audible!

It can almost be deafening at times because He is not a God whose greatest hits were played way back when. He is ALIVE today and He longs for us to see that!

I will never forget the day that I "discovered" something that I had known my whole life. It was Proverbs 3:5-6.

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths." ~Proverbs 3:5-6

The words I discovered were the words: "Acknowledge" and "Ways".

Acknowledge: Search for, or Discover.
Ways: Everything I do, Everywhere I go, and  Everyone I meet

In other words, if I search for or discover God in everything I do, everywhere I go and in everyone I meet I will discover God's voice in all of that? Is it really that simple?

I had started a new job this past April and I was a little apprehensive and as I drove to work on that first morning I asked God from the cab of my truck, "Daddy, I know you opened this door for me and that you are more than able to help me. I just need to know that you see me."

 No sooner had I prayed this when this truck drove through the intersection right past the front of my truck. Above Audible!

 
Is it really that simple?

It truly is. If you take the time to acknowledge Him you will discover that He has been broadcasting His voice all across the airwaves of your life. I want to challenge you not to miss God's voice this morning. If you hear Him prompt you to do something even though it defies logic, DO IT! Do not shut God's voice out. He longs to be heard by you and He longs for you to see His ever present hand in your circumstances.

Climbing with you,
~Dan






No comments:

Post a Comment