Wednesday, May 8, 2013

No Multi-Tasking Allowed


 

I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works. I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.”  ~Psalms 9:1-2

 
I want to introduce you to a very special person. This is Blake and he is my son, and Blake has a tremendous ability. Blake can teach. Blake cannot only teach, but he is a tremendous teacher.


My fourteen month old son Blake has taught me more about worship than anyone else in the whole world.

When I come home from working all day, one of my most favorite things to do is to get out of the truck and just stand on the porch and wait for the show. I enjoy the sight of my children with their faces smushed against the glass storm door. They cheer and squeal as I walk across the porch and as soon the door opens I am hit with requests that range from light saber duels to princess tea party R.S.V.P.s. I hear knock knock jokes peppered with sibling wrong doings and a multitude of questions.

Let’s go back to the glass door for a minute.

The two older children are smushing their faces against the glass competing with each other to see whose funny face will make daddy smile first, and then below them is Blake.

 
He has his little arms extended out as tall as they will stretch, his little chubby palms open to their fullest, and his face reflects utter focus on his daddy. He beams a smile because he has been seen by his daddy and his eyes are firmly fixed on mine.

Wiggling unsteadily and banging his hands on the glass storm door, his entire little body is literally shaking with anticipation of being lifted up and held by daddy. He is waiting to be safe in daddy’s arms, hugged, and kissed before being told, “I love you son!”

So when I read psalms 9, this is what I see. The fantastic anticipation of a child waiting to experience their Daddy’s presence.

I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart;…” ~Psalms 9:1

We live in a society that encourages if not demands that we multi-task. The maximum output of activity in the minimum amount of time.
I am all for time management and productivity in as many areas as we can with the exception of the dedicated time that we give God.

When was the last time that you focused your undivided attention on Daddy?
When have you blocked out every noise and distraction to just extend your arms, hands, and attention and fully focus on Daddy’s gaze?

 Does your praise time with Daddy resemble the picture of  fourteen month old at storm door?
If not, why not?

His arms are extending towards you even now as He crosses the porch.
He is looking forward to completely focusing on you as He holds you close. All day long He has anticipated you focusing entirely on Him so you can hear Him say, “I love you!”

 


Go ahead. I dare you. Put down the “Toys” that have occupied your time and attention all day long and run to the door. Disregard the voices around you and stop focusing on others exhausting efforts to make Daddy smile and you fix your gaze on Daddy!

Don’t multi-task your praise for Daddy.

“…with my whole heart;…” ~Psalms 9:1

 Climbing with you,

~Dan

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment