Sunday, January 20, 2013

God's created picture of us


I wanted to start this blog for several reasons.

 One of the main reasons is that I wholeheartedly believe and claim Ephesians 2:10 as my life verse, and one of the most revealing passages of scripture in the Bible about the heart of God.

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

I have been given a gift.

I have had the incredible opportunity to sit across the desk of some of the most incredible people that God has created.

No, they had never composed a world renowned piece of music, or created classic art. They had in fact never achieved what the world would considered any success. In fact, at one time they would answered to any of the following names in a family get-together: "Loser, drug addict, drunk, hopeless, down and out, burden, waste, trash, loose, shame, or black sheep."

I consider them to be some of the most incredible people God has ever created because they were able to finally come to the end of themselves and see the colors on the canvas of their life as God saw them when He allowed them to be applied. Additions and blends that He used to create His workmanship!

I created the picture posted to this blog as an act of love for my, at the time I drew it, two year old son. I wanted to capture one of my favorite moments with him. I wanted to remind myself that he was MY son. He was mine regardless if his actions pleased or displeased me. He was mine in the successes and he was mine in the failures. I also wanted to capture this moment to remind him, that I was HIS dad. I was his dad regardless if his actions pleased or displeased me. I was his dad in the successes and I was his dad in the failures.

What I have found in my journey in Christ is that our life is very much like a picture of a father and his son or daughter. God allows colors (Circumstances) into our life through our free will and the free will of others. Notice I used the words free will, this is not always the same as God's will.

God allows color to our canvas (Life) in order to show us His desired picture, A Father who carefully and attentively holds us close to Him.

As I would sit across from people who were finding freedom from addictions, I was able to see people who for the first time, looked at the colors God allowed on the canvas, not as careless slops of paint, but careful deliberate additions to bring about a picture that reflects a Father's heart to His child.

The more I would minister to these "Lost Sheep" the more the passage in Ephesians began to stand out to me. I began to become consumed with the pursuit of identifying God's brush strokes in our lives. I was reading the book of proverbs one morning, and as I entered the third chapter the bottom fell out. Here it was, the story of our lives, and it was right here all along.

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths." ~Proverbs 3:5-6

God gave us a path to walk. The problem however is that as we walk the path that God has given us, we find that we come to a wall. Walls are circumstances and difficulties. You see, God never promises easy, but He does promise POSSIBLE!

The walls on our path seem wide and impossibly high. Most of us look at the wall and then look up in frustration at the God that allowed it and decide that since we do not understand the wall on the path or the God that allowed it, we will stop walking on the path. The incredible thing about this wall is that if we simply ask God for the strength to climb the wall, we discover that it was never really a wall after all. It was a step. It was a step that was designed to bring us closer to God!

I wanted to start a blog to specifically deal with those walls. I want to help people identify the brush strokes of God in their life!

Climbing with you,

~Dan








4 comments:

  1. I am so thankful this blog has been created! I know I will find it a blessing!! 

    The past year has been one of many "walls" in my life.  I was going to school for elementary education, a degree I truly believed that God had called me to since I was a very little girl. To Gods glory I was doing really well in all of my classes, but it was impossible for me to pass the first test toward my certification.  I took it over and over and studied like a mad person...nothing was working. Then in December of 2012, my Dad had a stroke. It wasn't a "BIG" one, but to me a stroke is a stroke. (he is doing great now). In April, my Mawmaw suffered stroke like symptoms...come to find out she has a brain tumor that the doctors refuse to take out because of her age. Her health has been going downhill from there.  In May my boyfriend graduated from McKendree University with a degree in Physical Education. His plan was to stay around here until we got married, but guess what Illinois DOESN'T have!!! ANY need for PE teachers. So he ended up taking a job out of state...very VERY out of state. Believe me, I was an emotional train wreck...! After I took my test again I failed it and received a letter saying that I couldn't take any more classes at my school because of failing to pass the test. I was devastated. At least school would have kept my mind off of missing my love.  Well, to be brutally honest I was mad. I was mad at life, I was mad at the test, sadly, I was even bitter toward God. Why in the world were ALL of these walls smacking me in the face? 

    Then, through  much council of my parents, boyfriend, and best friend (youth pastors wife and her husband) I came to realize...HEY! Did you EVER think you were going in a direction God didn't want you to go? I am now 100% positive the reason I went to McK was because that is where God had my boyfriend waiting for me, and to make some connections with professors. Next, the health issues with my Dad and Mawmaw...I always enjoyed my time with them...but now, I TREASURE it! The letter-the letter lead me to a job that I adored...being an aide for high school students with disabilities. It was a blessing a thousand times over. Although it was short lived-I truly feel that was Gods way of saying, not Elementary Education Emmalee, Secondary Special Ed. (Something I never EVER dreamed would be something I wanted to do.) I got to visit my boyfriend and his family at Christmas...! God blessed greatly there, and I know without a shadow of a doubt he is the man for me. 5000 miles apart is hard, but we have learned to rely and trust in God...it's amazing! So thank you to my parents and Mawmaw and Pawpaw, my boyfriend, my youth directors wife and husband and especially Christ! Without any of you my life would be in complete disarray! Thank you all for your love and unconditional support! Walls are adventures! Not all fun ones, but are ones that truly make us stronger and more reliant on HIM! 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emmalee,
      First, thanks for taking the time to read the blog! I am very excited about this outlet for posting things that I am studying from the Bible, as well as just sharing things that the Lord is taking me through.
      Secondly, I really appreciate hearing how the Lord has used the circumstances to help you gain a better perspective of His path in your life. I especially loved the take away from the health issues that your family has been through. Treasuring the time instead of just enjoying it. I am very excited to see what lies ahead of you! Thanks again for the time and kind words given!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I have had a few walls in my life too. The latest being cancer. I have worked most of my adult life and was eagerly awaiting the day I could retire. My husband told me if I could wait until January of 2009 I would be able to retire. I was excited. I had also lived in the same place for most of my life. I figured I would die there. Not only did I retire but we also moved to another state following our daughter and her husband, and grandson who just happens to be the man who has written this blog. We were only at our new home one month when I became very ill. I had to have major surgery and this is when they found I had cancer. What a way to spend retirement. It was quite a trying time for me but the Lord and my family got me through it. That was three years ago and I am doing fine.

    Reading The Man And The Wall was a blessing. The writer of this blog has been able to help many people through using the knowledge the Lord has given him. My husband and I are so thankful to the Lord for sending him for our daughter to marry. I am sure I will have other Walls in my life but I also know that by trusting in the Lord he will help me climb it. I know this blog will be a blessing to those who read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the view mom! This thing got started when you went through that first surgery. I will always be able to look back to that time, (A wall for you to climb) as one of the best times in my life because God used it for so much good to others. Your daughter has been THE BEST thing in my life outside of Christ, thanks for raising her to love the Lord and to love her husband!

      Delete